Late November / Early December 2014
In the spirit of the pre-xmas season, I was feeling nostalgic, or had a visual craving for byzantine art.
I decided to challenge myself and see if I could make a little copy of the Virgin of Vladamir, using acrylics. Thanks to those nice extenders and other mediums you can mix in, plus a spray bottle and some plastic wrap, I got the consistency and working life I needed to complete this task.
I think I worked on it for at least 3 days. Maybe more. I should have kept a log of my time, because it could go on record for the most patience I’ve ever exerted on a painting, ever.
I started by mixing colors to match the image I was working from. I layered them on with my palette knife, alternating between colors and the interference gold concoction I mixed. I wanted to get just enough gold down to show through, but not so much that it would look intentional or lay on top of the other colors.
Next, I chose to transfer my lines by tracing my print out. I was aiming for a copy, and to me, this was more an exercise in color mixing, technique, and overall, testing the abilities of my acrylics. For the record, I was impressed, and I ought to be, because I was using “The Good Stuff:” primarily Golden brand acrylic colors and medium, and one or two heavy body Liquitex colors.
As it turns out, I don’t have any more work-in-progress photos of the painting, so I’ll just say that with a tiny brush, layer upon layer of glazing, some good podcasts, and lots and lots of patience, I was finally able to get it to look like this: